Wednesday 26 February 2014

116. Modal Verbs - I can, I want to, I must - Quiz Answers

116.  Modal Verbs - I can, I want to, I must - Quiz Answers

1    Modal verbs are basically verbs of  'mood '.

Write the meanings of the following modals next to each verb..

2    wollen  =  to want to

3    sollen  =  to be supposed to, 'should'

4    mögen  = to like

5    können  =  to be able to,  'can'

6    dürfen  =  to have permission to, 'may', 'can' 

7    müssen  =  to have to, 'must'

8    Modal verbs are used in conjunction with an  infinitive  form of the verb.

9    This part of the verb is placed at the  end of the clause.

10   Ich kann gut laufen =  I can run well.

In the following,  put in brackets the correct form of the modal verb ......

11   [ Darfst ]  du ins Kino mitkommen?  (dürfen)

12   Wir  [ wollen ]  nicht zur Schule gehen. (wollen)

13   [ Können ]  Sie Ihre CDs zur Party bringen? (können)

14   Ich [ muss ] heute Abend für eine Klassenarbeit lernen. (müssen)

15   Ilse und Franz [ sollen ]  heute früh ankommen.  (sollen)

16   Thomas, Anja, [ mögt ] ihr angeln gehen?  (mögen) 

Translate the following into German .....

17   Thou shalt not steal! = Du sollst nicht stehlen!

18   Can you speak French, Karl? = Kannst du Französisch sprechen, Karl ?

19   We have to go home early. = Wir müssen früh nach Hause gehen.

20   I am allowed to go to the disco tonight. = Ich darf heute Abend in die Disko gehen.







No comments:

Post a Comment