Wednesday 26 February 2014

114. Modal Verbs Present Tense - I can, I want to, I must

114. Modal Verbs Present Tense - I can, I want to, I must  

Answers to the last post's sentences appear below

1 Wir brauchen einen Liter Milch. Wir haben keine Milch (kein endings same as ein)
   We need a litre of milk (no 'of' in German. We have no milk (or 'don't have any milk')
2   Ich kaufe ein SakkoDas Sakko da ist preiswert!
     I am buying a sports coat. The jacket there is a bargain.
3  Timo hat keine Jacke und keine Hose. Er hat nur ein T-Shirt und Bermuda-Shorts.
    Timo has no jacket and no trousers. He has only a t-shirt and Bermuda shorts.
4   Wir trinken die Limonade, aber ich trinke keinen Alkohol.
     Der Wein schmeckt schrecklich! We are drinking the soft drink / soda 
     but I am not drinking any alcohol. The wine tastes terrible.
5   Hans und Anna haben einen Wagen aber kein Haus. Sie mieten eine Wohnung.
     Hans and Anna have a car but no house. They are renting an apartment.

Today, I would like to show you 6 of the most useful verbs in the language They are called Modal verbs ... basically verbs of 'mood' and their infinitives are ...

mögen = (to) like;  können = can, be able;  wollen = want to;  sollen = be supposed to / should; dürfen = have permission to, can;  müssen = have to, must

These verbs are used in conjunction with the infinitive which is always placed at the end of the clause. e.g.  ich kann gut schwimmen  =  I can swim well ( lit.  I can well swim)

These verbs are declined differently from a regular verb in the Present Tense.

1   ich kaufe       mag       kann      will      soll       darf       muss (No ending)
2   du kaufst       magst    kannst   willst     sollst     darfst     musst
3   er  kauft         mag      kann      will      soll       darf      muss  (No ending)

1   wir kaufen    mögen  können    wollen   sollen    dürfen   müssen
2   ihr  kauft       mögt     könnt      wollt      sollt       dürft      müsst
2   Sie kaufen    mögen  können   wollen   sollen    dürfen   müssen
3   Sie kaufen    mögen  können   wollen   sollen    dürfen   müssen

Rhine River vineyards behind barge



No comments:

Post a Comment